My response to Fingal County Council’s public consultation on aircraft noise is here. In it, I point out that
- there should be a general ban on night-time flights given the known health impacts of sleep disturbance by aircraft noise;
- the noise reduction objective needs to be based on analysis not just picked from an EU-wide strategy;
- Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) requires that alternatives such as a general night-time ban be considered;
- SEA also requires that the climate impact of the proposal and alternatives be considered, especially as night time aviation is generally much worse for the climate than daytime;
- Fingal County Council, including when it acts as an Aircraft Noise Competent Authority, is required by Irish law to pursue climate objectives.